ShareThis

December 3, 2010

Mary Anne Tateishi

Squid Propulsion by Mary Anne Tateishi


Mary Anne Tateishi is a Vancouver-based painter who paints on wood panel, using acrylic paints, tissue, art papers, and resin.  Her painting process uses layering, transparency and vivid colour to explore ideas of time and memory.  Her work is in private and public collections across Canada, as well as in the U.S.A., Europe, and Japan. She has been interviewed on the CBC radio, City-TV and Fairchild Television, and her work has appeared in local newspapers and arts magazines.

"Usually my paintings are pretty big, like three feet by four feet, but just for SFM, I'm doing some very small work as well, which I think looks adorable.  Once I bought a tiny painting in P.E.I, and the fellow told me it was artwork I could take everywhere.  I love that crazy idea of portable artwork. Imagine taking art with you in your car or on your bike or to work, the possibilities are endless!" 

"My paintings are process-driven, I enjoy painting layer upon layer, working with transparent materials and revealing the whole history of the painting. I also experiment with colour, since bright colour energizes the art work and pulls the viewer into the painting. If I had my way, our whole world would be a lot more colourful, but I'll start with the artwork."

Mary Anne's work should be a colorful addition to our thoughtfully curated show. As she stated earlier she is doing some work particularly for the SFM show this year, which everyone should be excited about! Its a gre
at thing that the Shiny Fuzzy Muddy show not only exhibits outstanding work, but it also inspires all of us to make new and often better work! You can read more about Mary Anne's work, thoughts and process on her blog.

1 comment:

  1. Yah! Thanks for the love, guys. I am working away in the studio right now to get ready for SFM, artists are often procrastinators too.

    ReplyDelete